SPI loves Biarritz, what’s not to love? Situated on the Bay of Biscay, Biarritz is a lovely seaside town with magnificent beaches, and a natural allure unlike any place else. In the summertime, Biarritz, the surf capital of Europe, comes alive with spectacles, festivals, and SPI students! For any lover of French language and culture, Biarritz is the ideal summer immersion location.
What else to do and see in Biarritz?
- the Asiatica Museum, which houses a significant collection of Asian art primarily from India, Nepal, Tibet, and China.
- The Museum of the Sea, which has 24 aquariums containing sharks and seals
- The annual Biarritz Surf Festival founded in 1993 at the Côte des Basques is one of the premier surf events in Europe and long-boarding events in the world.
- St-Martin’s Church, constructed in the 12th century, and restored in the middle of the 16th century.
- The Russian Orthodox Church, which was constructed in the 19th century for visiting Russian aristocrats, with its famous blue dome.
- The Chapelle Imperiale built for Empress Eugenie, which has an intricately decorated roof interior, and elegant wall tiling.
- A Museum of Chocolate, which explains its history and manufacture of what else… CHOCOLATE 🙂
- Cliffs and lookouts which lie to the west of the main beach.
SPI Biarritz offers students the opportunity to live with a local home stay family, take intensive French classes, and experience the vibrant, cosmopolitan, yet relaxed lifestyle of this authentic French town. If you’re interested in dipping into la vie française, this program is perfect for you.